The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Blog...

Facebook... Twitter... Youtube...

Tuesday 3 April 2012

The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Sits Down With... Jo-Ee-T!

This time in a couple of days we are likely to be running around like headless chickens, trying hard to put the finishing touches to HippyHaze 2012 in time for the next morning when our gates shall open bright and early. However, this week the pressure isn't on quite as much, so drinks and dinner at Frankie and Benny's with a certain Jo-Ee-T was definitely on the agenda! If you're not yet aware of the talent which is Joey, you're in for a real treat. Specializing in house music, this local DJ offers a breath of fresh air to the Stoke-on-Trent music scene. His laptop and a microphone is all this guy needs to blow our HippyHaze audience away big-time. Drinks ordered, pleasantries and greetings taken care of, and tushes planted firmly on the bar stools, we experienced the down-to-earth Jo-Ee-T for the first time in a none-performance setting. He didn't disappoint...

***



It's so nice to finally meet the famous Jo-Ee-T I've heard so much about!
Argghhh don't, I'm just Joey. Haha.

Awhh I'm going to tease you throughout now like you're a huge rock-star because I know it bugs you :) Let's get on shall we? Do you work Joey?
I do have a job in Newcastle but really I spend most of my time mixing tracks. I'm really passionate about it, so nothing really distracts me. Like, I prefer to go mix rather than watch the telly even!


As if! I love the telly. Although it's great that you're so passionate about what you do. So, tell us about Jo-Ee-T as an act...
Well, basically it's just me all on my own! At HippyHaze I'm playing a two and a half hour set, some of it will be DJ-ing and some just me live so it should be good. I make the music myself although sometimes I feature other artists like Sian Matthews (of Heritage and Faux Feet, also playing HippyHaze). I spend lots of time on my mixes and then I just use my laptop and beach balls when I'm performing them!

Beach balls?
Yeah, at Rugfest I brought beach balls for the audience to play with.

Amazing! How did you get into DJ-ing then? It's not really something they teach in school...
No it isn't. Well, my dad and my uncle have been DJ-ing for ages so I've grown up around it really. They're my idols to be honest.

Ok, so do they inspire your music?
Definitely. My dad is my biggest inspiration. He's my hero! But there are so many artists who I love too. In my own genre I think Daft Punk is fantastic. Then I also have a handful of other influences who are completely different. Like, I think Stevie Wonder is awesome and Prince is my ultimate favorite. 

They're legends. Have you ever performed with your dad?
Actually, one of my best experiences was performing with my dad a little while ago at The Basement in Hanley on one of their maGic nights. There were hundreds of people in there and it was amazing to be handing the decks over once I'd done to my hero. My other favorite gig would have to be when I performed at Mark Askew's last gig at The Underground. 

That sounds amazing, bet you were chuffed to get that gig!
Well, yeah it was a huge honour to be invited along. Obviously the room was packed out with about 350 people, then on top of that there were people trying to sneak into the venue from the smoking area. I'll never forget it. The lights were dim so I could set up, then once I was done the lights clicked on and the audience screamed. At the end of the performance I put my hands in the air as if to say, 'That's it... I'm done' and the audience went nuts screaming and shouting. I loved it.

I bet the adrenalin is amazing at a gig like that! Do you ever get nervous?
Oh God, once my nerves were so bad. It was a gig at The Full Moon in Newcastle and for some bizarre reason my confidence just plummeted when I was on stage. It was weird. I started panicking and doing everything wrong. I mean, after the gig different people in the audience came and told me they'd enjoyed the set but I was just in shock. It was a very weird experience...

No way! Well, there'll be no need for that at HippyHaze as you'll be performing for friends :) That's how we like to look at it as we'll be cheering you on the whole time. Who will you be cheering of at the festival?
Oh I can't wait to see Sea-Based Turtles and The Get Alongs. Also, it will be nice to see Heritage and Faux Feet because I've worked with their singer, Sian, on quite a few different projects. 

Just to round off the interview, I want to know, what's next for Jo-Ee-T?
Dancing and cuddles. Plus me and my dad are hoping to do some more gigs at The Basement like maGic because it was just the best. And then I'm working on a very exciting project with The Sugarmill at the moment although it may be a secret, so I can't tell you anymore... You'll just have to wait and see! All will be revealed this summer...

Oh Jo-Ee-T, you are a man of many mysteries and I love it. I speak on behalf of HippyHaze and we couldn't be happier to have you on board :)

***

If a more genuine guy than Joey exists, we'd love to meet him. We probably never will though, because it's physically impossible to be more laid-back, down-to-earth and lovely than him. If you like throwing your body around pulling wild-dance shapes then you're not going to want to miss his set. In the meantime, if you'd like to treat your ears to some real musical candy, head over to his facebook page and have a wee listen. You won't be disappointed. Jo-Ee-T will be playing on the evening of Easter Sunday just after The Get Alongs, yet another must-see act at HippyHaze. 

If you haven't grabbed your tickets yet, then you'd better beg, steal and borrow the money to buy one because they're flying out! 

HEAD INTO MUSIC MANIA OR THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE COMPANY IN NEWCASTLE OR HANLEY AND GET YOURS NOW. A COUPLE OF THE BANDS ARE STILL FLOGGING TICKETS, BUT THEY'RE RAPIDLY RUNNING OUT NOW SO GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN! £14 FOR A DAY PASS INCLUDING ONE NIGHT CAMPING AND JUST £33 FOR A THREE-NIGHT CAMPING TICKET. See you there :)

Love and milkshakes
The Hippy Hippy Shake Company

No comments:

Post a Comment