The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Blog...

Facebook... Twitter... Youtube...

Wednesday 25 January 2012

The Hippy Hippy Shake Company Sits Down With... Shaneth Davis from The Get Alongs


For our first band interview, we wanted to choose a band which we felt really epitomized what this festival is all about, and featured the sorts of people who we can't wait to work with. This is why we jumped at the opportunity to head to The Underground in Hanley on the 20th January to get up close and personal with the exceptionally professional and sickeningly cool Shaneth Davis from The Get Alongs. It was all very rock and roll being invited backstage to conduct our short interview before Shaneth was whisked off for another interview with Radio Stoke. So, what did we ask the man with so little time yet so much to say...
***


Shane it's nice to meet you! *Conservatively shake hands before being invited backstage* I'm sure you're pretty busy tonight so I'll get straight to it with a question I'm sure you get asked all the time, but we really want to know... who are The Get Alongs' biggest influences? 

Ahhh it's dead hard because it varies from band member to band member and there's so many...

List them.

Number Girl, Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, Sparta Locals, The Housemartins, The Smiths, Billy Bragg, The Libertines, Stiff Little Fingers, The Jam, Morrissey, The Mars Volta, At The Drive in, Sex Pistols, Flogging Molly, The Cribs, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Ned's Atomic Dustbin... more?

Wow, no that's fine! So you're obviously into quite a diverse range of music which I guess is great when trying to throw some tunes together...

Yeah it's great to have all our different tastes. That's why our audience is a bit of a mix of people. Because we don't stick to one style, the crowd doesn't either so we have everything from mods to skaters. We like it that way. 

What's been your best rock and roll moment as a band to date? And you can't choose a sexual conquest.

I'm not like that! Loads of people think I am but I hate all that. 

That's what we like to hear, he's a good boy!

Well, the way I look at it is, I don't go to a restaurant to try out the toilet, I go there to eat the food. I'm in it for the music.

I love that phrase although I don't quite understand it... As for your rock and roll moment?

Selling out The Sugarmill before Christmas and having it packed full of people singing my songs is the best feeling ever. Smashing up my guitar, getting shut down by riot police when a crowd got a bit mental, supporting great bands... Music means more to me than life. I should be in hospital right now, but I've taken my medication and come here just because I'd rather be playing than getting better.

WOW that's pretty rock and roll! Don't die on me... Going back to the topic of girls... The Get Alongs write all their own lyrics right? So what inspires the words? Girls? 

Yeah sometimes! All of our songs are really personal. There's loads of hidden stuff! We have one song about them annoying girls who are orange. I always say before performing it, 'This is for all those orange f**king s**gs out there!' And there's loads of hidden stuff in that track. They are really personal... I write a lot of poetry and so a lot of the lyrics come from that, obviously the rest of the band add in their bits and we all share ideas.

Right! Next question... What would be your dream collaboration if you had to choose another act that will be playing at Hippy Haze?

Ahh that's a good one. We're good friends with Clockwork Owls although we'll probably do something with them anyway. We're pretty close to Sworn To Oath. Who else... Dirty Money No 5 are really good. The Pretty Great Whites, 3's A Riot we tour with these all the time. Heritage, Faux Feet. Anybody really... Joey T's on about doing a remix of one of our songs too...

That would be really good! I hear fab things about him. Finally, just out of interest, what's your fave Hippy Hippy Shake milkshake?

Oh, I had a 3's A Riot this week and that was really good, although I reckon when you put out a flavour named after The Get Alongs that will be the best!

Cheeky! I'll have to put in a good word for you :) Well thanks Shaneth, you've been great, I'll let you get on with all your other Rock Star Duties.

Thanks, better go find Radio Stoke for my next interview!

***


And just like that he was gone! Simon, Gavin, Jack and the lovely Shane (aka. The Get Alongs) appear to be constantly selling out venues to the extent where The Undergound reached capacity by 8pm on the night this interview took place, and it's easy to see why. This Stoke-based, band mixes alternative, indie and 'post punk' into one huge mess of oral pleasure. And who doesn't want that ;) If you're into stage presence, hilarious lyrics with dual meanings and fancy a good time, The Get Alongs are definitely one to watch at HippyHaze this Easter.

TICKETS ARE SELLING OUT FAST SO MAKE SURE YOU HEAD INTO THE HIPPY HIPPY SHAKE COMPANY IN NEWCASTLE OR HANLEY AND GET YOURS NOW. £14 FOR A DAY PASS INCLUDING ONE NIGHT CAMPING AND JUST £33 FOR A THREE-NIGHT CAMPING TICKET.

Love and milkshakes
The Hippy Hippy Shake Company

No comments:

Post a Comment